Friday, April 4, 2014

Couch Surfing Assignment

1.  I first expected this site to be about people sitting on couches surfing through TV channels.  It never even occurred to me that it would be about finding a place to spend the night.  I also expected the site to look outdated and old and look like someone threw it together in an hour.

2.  My first impression of the site came after I realized the site's true purpose as apposed to the site I thought it would be.  I think that the site looks very professional and inviting.  It romanticizes the idea of travelling without set plans and or a place to stay for a night.

3.  As I stated before, my original thought was that this website was for people that would sit on the couch and surf through TV channels.  On this site, the users could post entries about their experiences and interesting shows or commercials that they saw.

4.  I think either someone who travels spontaneously without planning or someone who cares for the welfare of people like Backpackers or travelers would run this website.

5.  I probably would not become a member because I usually plan my travels thoroughly ahead of time.  I also don't feel comfortable sleeping near people I don't really know because there are quite a few odd people out in the world that could abuse this system.

6.  I don't really have any concerns about this community itself, but more with the people offering the housing.  How are they approved?  Are they screened for safety?  

6 comments:

  1. I too would not not become a member because I get sketched out easily and would not want to stay with strangers in a foreign country nor would I want strangers to stay with me! I don't think there is any approval needed at all to become a member which makes me that much more apprehensive about this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think my people skills are adequate for this kind of community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this site because I am a travelers and I never plan my travel plans. And I think that it is way funner that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As many people, I would probably not use this site. Heck, I don't even like driving around without knowing where I'm going and how to get there. Traveling without a set place to sleep and settle for the nights would not be something I would want to do. I would also be worried about my own safety if I started couch surfing. I would hope that they screen people, but there seems to be no guarantee of you being in a safe environment. However, I can also see why some people, with a better sense for adventure than myself, would fall in love with this idea and use the site to it's full potential.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ InternetParticipant:
    At first, I was totally in line with what you were saying about being totally non-trusting of other people with letting me stay in their place, but then I started thinking. If I was to go to an old motel, I am still trusting somebody else with my life, because I am staying in their residence, to which they have full access. And not only that, I am paying them for it. Though some may think that money would secure their obligation for a safe stay, I would argue that, couch owner or hotel owner, money is no guarantee that you will be completely safe. Although the hotel owner has a business reputation on the line, the couch owner still has their Couchsurfing reputation to uphold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Drummer Boi, why did you specify "old motel?" Did you have PSYCHO in mind? (grin) Seriously, I think problems at hotels or motels are more likely to get coverage in the media (and places like YELP) than problems with an informal network like couchsurfing. And, at least, I have a lock with an internal deadbolt or security chain to give me some warning where I wouldn't necessarily on a couch or in a spare bedroom. Fortunately, all of the B&Bs I've stayed in had internal locks/chains.

    ReplyDelete