Monday, April 21, 2014

Hollywood Stock Exchange Results: I Made a lot of Money on the Lego Movie Sequel!

Let me begin by saying that I have no idea how stocks work.  I do however, understand what movies and shows are and going to be awesome.  This is clearly reflected in my enormous gain of over 30% in less than two days from LEGO2.  I feel like I should have bought more stock in it.

I believe that HSX is an online community and a valid candidate for a 3rd Space.  I could easily see this site as a 3rd place.  It has all the needed components.  It has participation through posting in the forums, and buying stock.  There are privileges to signing up.  The capital of the site is the stocks that you can trade.  Elders would be considered forum moderators and admins for the site.  I didn't really have any interaction with other users on the site but that is due to me not seeking out any other users.  To be honest, I thought I would dislike this site, but I actually found my experience with this site enjoyable.  I may continue to use it.

4 comments:

  1. It's funny to me because I too invested in the lego sequel and the price of them dropped about a thousand dollars over the course of about a day and a half. I also have no idea how stocks work so I'll just blame it on the ups and downs of this system.
    I like how concisely you managed to explain how it is both a community and a valid candidate for a 3rd space. I might also continue to use it and check out the "strategy" forums to see if there's any good way to do this other than having perfect timing (because of how unknown this seems to be, as shown by our two lego share purchases).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think that HSX is a viable community and third place. A great thing about having online communities as third places is that there will almost never be the issue of accessibility. There seem to be all the makings of a community at HSX, there's forums for conversation, there's fun to be had to give you incentive to use the sight, there seems to be a hierarchy with elders and regulars, posters and lurkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. When I first started I had no idea how stocks worked and even now I'm still confused. It pretty interesting how that's a place for people to come together even for a site like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the real social capital of the site is how Hollywood (in the broadest sense) gets all of this consumer research while people think they're just playing a game.

    ReplyDelete